Are you in for some more mapping action? Then sign up for the first Sauerworld Mapping Challenge: Remake Challenge!
If you are familiar with the mapping challenges on quadropolis.us, then you are already one step ahead. For those who aren’t, let us explain:
A “Mapping Challenge” is an event where anybody from the community – serious mappers, casual ones, or anyone just looking to get a foot in the door – can sign up and proceed to create a map following the guidelines of the given challenge. At the end of the time limit, usually a few months, a voting is held for the best one!
For this first edition, the challenge is to make your best remake of an FPS map of your choosing. The map can be from Quake, Counter Strike, or any game you can think of other than Sauer, as long as it is a remake of an already existing map. So, do you want more information? Then read on!
- You are allowed to sign up until the 28th of March 2015 0:00 GMT. Any entries which sign in after that date are still allowed to participate but can expect a penalty during the voting period.
- The challenge starts on the 29th of March 2015 at 0:00 GMT and ends on the 10th of May 2015 0:00 GMT.
- You can sign up as a single participant or as a team with a maximum of 2 people, but you must specify when you sign up.
- You can remake a map from any game, as long as it reaches the standards of quadropolis.us (proper gameplay and flow, some quite fancy texturing, lighting, detailing, etc).
- The map must be no larger than mapsize 16.
- The map shouldn’t contain more than 150k of wtr and shouldn’t be bigger than 8MG in file-size (the .ogz-file).
- You are allowed to make preparations for the mapping before the start date (like picking a textureset, setting up a config-file, scripts, etc), but you are not allowed to start until the 28th of March. This of course cannot be controlled, so let’s rely on trust, shall we?
- Only 2 participants are allowed per team.
- Do not plagiarize. All work submitted must be your own.
- Do not edit another participant’s submission, or have anybody else edit you own. The only person who can edit your map is you and/or a team member.
- Copying content from existing maps is not permitted or tolerated, unless it’s configuration-based content (such as texture settings, scripts, etc).
- The map should be packaged as suggested by this Packaging Guide.
If you are interested in participating, leave a comment at the bottom of this post with the following template:
- Name of participant(s):
- Original game(s): <—List the name of the game that the map originally was made for.
- Original map:
- Theme(s): <—Examples: Sci-Fi, Medieval, Snow, Terrain, any combination (get creative!)
- Game Mode(s): <—Examples: 1v1 Duel, CTF, Capture, Deathmatch, etc.
- Post your maps in this forum thread: http://sauerworld.org/forum/index.php?topic=263
- Include a screenshot. This will help to easily differentiate between the different submissions.
- Include a description:
- Game Mode(s): Your own call, as long as it’s an official mode within Sauerbraten.
- Theme: Describe the theme you’ve picked.
- Amount of players: The minimum and maximum number which you think that should fit the map.
- License: This MUST be mentioned in your post. No map will be accepted without a license. If you need help selecting, check this out.
- Original game(s): Provided with a link towards a page that shows off the original game.
- Original map: Provided with a link towards a page that shows off the original map.
- Original author(s): Everyone who created the original map.
- A poll will be created by the Sauerworld team after the last day of the challenge where people will vote for their favorite map. Remember when creating, that you are appealing to the masses!
- The winner(s) of the challenge will have their map reviewed in the Map Discovery section of sauerworld.org, their map starred on quadropolis.us, and have an exclusive interview with the Sauerworld team.
- You are allowed to attach any other content to your node, such as textures, models, etc, as long as it is included in a separate zip-file and is relevant to the node. You should also mention so when attaching anything to your node of participation.
If you have any questions on this post or on the challenge in general, contact Suicizer ([email protected]/#sauerbraten on quakenet.org IRC, or #sauercom on gamesurge.net) or Fatality ([email protected]/#sauercom on gamesurge.net).
Good luck and fine mapping!
All information provided within this event may be used as a base to create other events; as long as the original author is notified (by sending an email). Giving credits is your own decision, but if you insist so; original author: Suicizer. Created at 22:36 on 7th of March 2015.