We unfortunately have a somber and unhappy announcement to make. In short, we have uncovered that raffael has been using a triggerbot to cheat in tournament play.
This is of course a very serious accusation for any player, let alone one with raffael’s profile as a winner of multiple tournaments over many years. It’s also a complicated one, because raffael is obviously an intelligent player with real, unaugmented talent.
As many of you are aware, traditionally triggerbots have been extremely difficult to detect, and there are several technical barriers that are part of Sauerbraten that have made it virtually impossible to be certain whether one is being used. However, as part of an investigation that went on over the course of more than a month, Redon discovered a completely new method for evaluating gameplay for triggerbot use, and developed several tools to automate the data extraction and analysis process. This new methodology allows for a precise, data-driven, high confidence determination of whether a player has been using a triggerbot over a period of time.
In other words, triggerbot accusations used to be a matter of suspicion, best guesses, and opinion. Now they are about fact, data and certainty.
More than 400 SauerDuels games, including nearly 70 participants and spanning 2 full years were analyzed using this new methodology. The evidence was overwhelming and lead to the clear, unassailable conclusion that raffael has been using a triggerbot.
Given that this is such a highly valuable technique, and indeed the first and only of its kind for Sauerbraten, we feel it is important to preserve it for future use protecting the community from cheating. Therefore we aren’t able to disclose any more details about how it works at this time.
We put together a team of some of the most experienced, trusted community members to verify the new methodology and evaluate the evidence against raffael. Many of us have run Sauerbraten tournaments before, so we are well aware of the importance and sensitivity of this issue. We, the undersigned, are putting the full weight of our reputations and over 80 years of combined Sauerbraten community membership behind the sad, but necessary statement that raffael has been using a triggerbot to cheat in tournament games.
– mefisto, owner of Sauerworld, SDoS tourney creator, veteran of past cheating investigations and member of tBMC
– Redon, SL and SD referee, developer, and official representative of sQ
– Acuerta, community veteran, raffael’s teammate, and leader of w00p
– swatllama, creator and organizer of SSL, and prominent member of tBMC
– Lokio, SD referee and official representative of DM
– Frosty, founder of the SauerDuels league, founder of the 2016 SauerLeague, and SSL tourney admin
– notas, community veteran, SWL tourney admin, longtime tourney consultant and leader of sp4nk
– Origin, SL and SD admin and member of !s